Recommended Books for UPSC Civil Services Prelims Exam
Current events of national and international importance
As the heading says current events, this part of the prelims syllabus of GS paper I require to read major newspapers like The Hindu, Indian Express, or Times of India religiously and while reading the newspaper aspirants (beginners) should ensure that they are not spending too much time in reading the newspaper. One should give priority to the news that is national and international importance. If candidates find difficult to read the newspaper or think they waste too much time in reading the newspaper then it is recommended to refer our comprehensive news analysis, which simplifies newspaper reading and making current affairs notes easier.
Highlights of our Comprehensive News Analysis
History of India and Indian National Movement
This part of the prelims syllabus covers Ancient, Medieval, and Modern Indian History also includes art and culture as well as Society. To cover this part, here we recommend four important books as mentioned below.
- India’s Ancient Past by R S Sharma – Candidates can refer NCERT when they think they didn’t understand any concepts as NCERT is the one and best source to refer in understanding any basic concepts. Buy Now
- A Brief History of Modern India (Rajiv Ahir) Buy Now
- History of Medieval India Buy Now
- Facts of Indian Culture Buy Now
Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
To cover this part of the prelims Syllabus, all a candidate has to refer is:
- NCERT Books
- Majid Hussain India And World Geography Buy Now
- Wizard Geography Buy Now
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong (Author) Buy Now
Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
As a beginner, an aspirant should know that this part of the syllabus covers both current issues (dynamic) and the defined UPSC syllabus (static). The current issues mostly cover new schemes, policies, new bills or acts or any amendment in the existing acts or bills.
Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
Again to cover this part of the prelims syllabus, candidates’ should give importance to the issues in news relating to these topics and to cover the static part of the syllabus
General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- Science Biology 12th Standard NCERT (Last four Chapters 13 to 16)
- Shankar IAS Environment Book Buy Now
- Current Affairs
- General Science NCERT Books – IX and X standard
- Current Affairs (Comprehensive News Analysis), The Hindu (Note down and read about the latest scientific terms, discoveries and inventions frequently mentioned in news)
- Science Reporter Magazine
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. – Class X level)
As the CSAT Paper II Syllabus says it needs class 10 level mathematics knowledge, reading comprehension, and Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
To cover the Prelims GS (CSAT) Paper II, candidates can refer the below-listed books or start with practicing UPSC previous years’ question papers.
- CSAT Paper – 2 Manual by TMH Buy Now
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey Buy Now
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S.Aggarwal Buy Now
Now you know the must-have books to refer for the IAS prelims exam preparation, all you need to do is to take some time to collect these resources and start gearing up for the UPSC Civil Services IAS Exam.